Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Fresh Start

I've finally not had to work long hours for awhile now! Oops, I probably just cursed myself....

Anyhow, I've been taking advantage by slowly starting to play more poker lately. I've been mixing it up trying to find a good niche again and even started to play a few cash games. That didn't live too long as I guess I don't have the patience, or maybe time, to grind out good results. I do realize you can sit and go as you please with cash games, but to really start to make some money you have to find those perfect spots which can take a long time to come. So I went back to playing mostly SNG's and have been having some ok results.

I've been playing on Full Tilt mostly as I just seem to be running a little better on there. I've been playing my regular MTT sng's and mixing in some step tournaments to try to win tickets to some bigger buy in tournaments than I usually play. The step 1 &2's are very soft and are pretty easy to exploit and at least come out of it with your original buy in. The people really play super tight it seems and don't realize you still have to get a decent stack to move up, even though they really do play like satellites.

I also tried my hand at some of the new "Rush" sng's. I was a bit weary of the concept, but really find them fun to play! It doesn't hurt that the very first 135 player game I played I got second place and should have had 1st as I was a much better player, but donked my chips off heads up. That gave me a nice little boost to my bankroll. The Rush concept is interesting as any time you fold your hand you are instantly moved to another table and dealt a new hand. This continues until you reach the final table where traditional play starts. I thought it would be chaotic, but really you start to recognize the field and can play some decent poker. It's sort of tough to get reads on people though since you don't get to see hands play out a lot. Good concept, but we'll see how it fits into my game long term.

I'm nearing the 4 figure mark on my bankroll too (total with stars and ft). I hope to be eclipsing the $1K mark by summers end, but we'll see how the variance Gods treat me. That is a vast improvement over last year. This year I've made almost $700 grinding out micro stakes. Granted $200 was a freeroll from pokerwit, but still I'm pleased thus far. Far from my original goals, but play wise I'm happy with my progress.

I still haven't put much volume in the last couple of months, but things are picking up this month so hopefully I'll have some graphs to show off soon too! Well that's just another quick update. Good luck at the tables!

No comments:

Post a Comment